Monday, May 2, 2016

Freedom of Speech on Campus

Freedom of speech on college campuses has long been oppressed. Students who speak out or protests on their campuses are shut down and usually punished in some way. There is a fear among college students to speak out against injustices on campus.

As a college student myself I can relate to the fear of consequences I might face for exercising my freedom of speech on campus. Especially being a High Point University student I have as much rights as dead people. In all honesty prisoners have more rights than I do. High Point University being a private institution rather than government run gives me no right to make a constitutional claim.

High Point University used to have a school newspaper that was student run. However the university decided to no longer use this paper as they thought the students talked about issues the school did not want talked about. High Point being a private institution stopped the student run newspaper and gave it over to the public relations board instead. This was the last bit of freedom of speech and expression that the students had on this campus. There is nothing as students of this campus we can do to get this newspaper back except maybe protest or sign a petition, even then myself and others involved can suffer the consequences inforced by the school .

No comments:

Post a Comment